Tools for Capturing Toile

The drawing project that we did was amazing. I loved learning to draw without using lines. The fabric that I chose flowed in such an interesting way, and it had a texture that was difficult to capture. The fabric that I was drawing was toile, and the thing that made it difficult to draw was the fact that it was see through. I tried to show that there was fabric under the first layer of fabric. There was an amazing amount of shadows involved in it too that needed to be captured in order to show the real texture that it had. I think that was the secret to showing it on the paper. The section that I chose to draw was a section that was tied in a knot. I loved the way that it looked like the cloth was water flowing into and out of the knot, which is why I chose that section in the first place.
The graphite that we used was very nice too. I liked that you were able to get both solid lines, and a more grainy affect based on how you used the graphite stick. It was easily manipulated too for blending purposes. I used the eraser to blend it. This gave the blending a smoother texture. I focused most heavily on drawing the knot in the fabric because it seemed to me that that was sort of the main point of where I chose my viewpoint to be in. I was not able to “finish” my drawing in the same way that I had treated the knot, so after talking to Nell I came up with a way to finish it. I wanted to capture the idea that the cloth had given me of water flowing, and so I decided that I would draw flowing lines coming to and from the knot. It didn’t look right to me, so I asked Nell to look at it with me, and she said that I should do for the cloth in front of the knot what I did for the actual knot. She also said that I should do a blind contour to get a more accurate capturing of what the cloth was doing. My lines that I had just drawn in were to formulaic, and they looked made up. When doing the blind contour for the two flowing pieces of cloth, I decided that I wanted the cloth in the background to be darker rather than really light so that it would look more like what the cloth was actually doing. To get this effect I did the blind contour, but then did some block shading in the cloth where the actual shadows were. I ended up having to go through and lighten that up and make the lines heavier because it began to look too much like the cloth in front.
For the cloth coming in from the top, I did a blind contour and instead of doing any actual shading I darkened the lines where their were shadows on the cloth to give it a textured feel. In the end I was really happy with the way that this project turned out, and the intense seeing that was involved in it. I loved just looking at the object and seeing what it was doing to know how to put it on paper. I also liked having the contrast between the intense realistic part of the drawing up against the more abstract part of the drawing. I can’t wait to see what we do next.

Published in: on February 28, 2010 at 9:32 pm  Comments (1)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

One CommentLeave a comment

  1. Great development/process images and words!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: